So, maybe this is my nesting instict kicking in but I felt like making a pie tonight. Not nearly as bad as Riana's nesting kick. She made 24 dinners! But this urge for apple pie was plus fort que moi*! So here's is my tarte aux pommes pour la femme enceinte:
I kind of threw this together following my mind's logic! I love pies but I've found that pies in France are creamier and heavier and I just don't like them as much as my mom's homemade pies. I did not make the crust. I just didn't have the patience to do that tonight but had a couple Picard frozen pie crusts or påte brisées in the freezer that would work just fine.
- 6 large pink lady apples (3 for making compote with, the other three to layer into the pie)
- Cook down the apples to make a your compote sauce. Add sugar and spice as you like. I used my Penzey's apple pie spice.
- 1 påte brisée from Picard. Let it defrost while you are making the compote.
- Layer compote and then sliced apples that have been tossed in sugar and spice.
- Bake at 200 degreed Celsius for 30 minutes.
Making a compote for the base of tarte avoids using cream or eggs for your tarte base as the French like to do. I was thinking about my thighs while making this pie. :)
Serve warm with a big glass of milk. It's better smelling than any Yankee candle and tastes pretty darn good.
* too strong to deny